Sunday, May 29, 2011

Military Mtarfa - Re-enactment

1/1600 sec at f / 2.8. ISO 200
200 mm (70.0 - 200.0 mm f / 2.8)
Last Sunday, I paid a visit at the Military Mtarfa re-enactment event organised by the Mtarfa Local Council.  This was a very interesting event as it featured a collection of First and Second World War memorabilia including cars, motorcycles and all sorts of objects related to that period.

What I found really interesting about the event, were the members from the Battlefront group who were wearing authentic World War II costumes.  This was a very good occasion to smart out of my Tamrac backpack, my Nikon and Sigma 70-200 f2.8.  I have to say that the actors were very friendly and approachable.  This resulted to be a fruitful experience of which I have captured a couple of stunning shots.

The shot that I am presenting today is that of a female actress who was sitting in a typical World War II car.  What I really like of this image is its composition and the way I managed to freeze the moment.  I have chosen to place the subject on the left hand side of the image so as to balance the blurred horizontals on the right.  One may also notice that the image is very tightly framed by the visor of the car.  This adds more weight on the opposite side of the subject.   It is important to state that the image was not cropped during the post processing stage.  This is a very important personal issue as I pertain to the non-cropping school of thought.  My ideas about composition and the art of framing an image is that of capturing the shot and composing it primarily out of the box so as not to modify it at a later stage.  Cropping may result to effect the resolution of the image.  

I may also add that the black and white chromatic rendition to this image suits very much the subject and gives it a faithful adaptation towards the moment being re-enacted.

On a final note, it is vital to state that what makes this image a stunning capture is its composition.  Composition is a very important factor in photography which one has not to miss to the benefit of other elements.





No comments:

Post a Comment